Thursday, August 28, 2008

eating around the bowl


Salaamaalekum (meaning peace be upon you in Wolof),

Today we all as a group ate as a community with 5-7 of us around a bowl (kind of like a community pizokeee!) but with dinner and you eat with your hands! You put the rice, fish, and/or veggies in a little ball and put it in your mouth! The fruit here is AMAZING!!! I could really get use to eating fresh fruit everyday… but we only have it once in awhile. Dinner manners are much different here in Senegal than in America. There are a lot of differences but it is still beautiful! I’m definitely improving my French bit by bit… and also learning the native language Wolof!

I move in with my host family tomorrow, we only know a little about our families, so when I do move in I will update you on them! The week of orientation has been really busy and consists of lots of water and lots of naps… as for most of you know, my favorite thing to do! And might I say naps in Africa are so much better for some reason!

I have been making friends, “Tantes” with the older women of Senegalese families and I love their insight on everything and we laugh and joke like we’ve been friends forever! Being part of an extended family is very common here, you will find that lots of people are “related” either they are your “aunts, cousins, brothers or sisters!”. It is a very good way to network families and friends!

I haven’t been bitten by many mosquitoes really but I have been taking my malaria medication religiously! Speaking of religion, Ramadan starts next week, this is the holy week for Muslims! Although I will not be fasting, Muslims all around the country will spend this next month fasting after sunrise and before sunset. It’s beautiful here, the people are very nice, and I am learning so much everyday about new things I would have never known, if I wasn’t where I am right now.


♥ Mariah

No comments: