
I’m here and all in one piece! After 24 hours of traveling, 100lbs of luggage (at least), and a 12 hour layover in New York, I am officially in Dakar, Senegal. So far I seem to like it very much! Very hospitable and kind were my first impressions of the Senegalese. On the 8 hour flight from New York to Dakar, I sat next to a very sweet Senegalese mother of 3, who by chance lives in Ohio now, her name was Binta. We talked quite a bit about our families, Senegal, and life in general. She was on her way to Dakar to visit her husband who works here; she hadn’t seen him in a whole year (although they talk almost everyday!) Amazing!!!
For this week we are staying at the Suffolk University in Dakar. This is to help us get to know each other and bond. So far everyone seems very nice! Today I slept a lot; I took a nap for an hour or two and then after lunch I took another nap which turned into almost 6 hours…sleeping straight through dinner! Haha.
The food here reminds me of the food in Tunisia, lots of baguettes, rice, beef, and water. We went for a walk to the beach, it’s only a 10 minute walk! It was so nice! It is weird being on the other side of the world and still having a west coast. The waves remind me of California but the water is warm like Hawaii (not as clear though). There were a lot of children at the beach today playing, it’s so amazing how content they are just playing with whatever they can find; no buggie boards, shovels, and most didn’t even have towels but they were having the time of their life! I’ll try and get pictures up soon!
Until next time!
Mariah
For this week we are staying at the Suffolk University in Dakar. This is to help us get to know each other and bond. So far everyone seems very nice! Today I slept a lot; I took a nap for an hour or two and then after lunch I took another nap which turned into almost 6 hours…sleeping straight through dinner! Haha.
The food here reminds me of the food in Tunisia, lots of baguettes, rice, beef, and water. We went for a walk to the beach, it’s only a 10 minute walk! It was so nice! It is weird being on the other side of the world and still having a west coast. The waves remind me of California but the water is warm like Hawaii (not as clear though). There were a lot of children at the beach today playing, it’s so amazing how content they are just playing with whatever they can find; no buggie boards, shovels, and most didn’t even have towels but they were having the time of their life! I’ll try and get pictures up soon!
Until next time!
Mariah
1 comment:
Get out there and body surf.... or just wade in the waves.... or something
Have a great time I'll be checking the blog so keep with the updates.
I'm glad that you got your sleep.
Post a Comment