Friday, April 17, 2009

Environment

Hello!

Well, I just finished my last day of my envirnment class. I learned alot about Senegal through that class. Like...
  • European countries send their old cars here because they dont know where else to put them. People here make them work miraculously and polution is then a by factor because of all the co2 ommited in the air.
  • People are having a hard time watering their agriculture because of privitation of water by the French. They are having to pay now almost more then double then before privitization.
  • Senelec, the only electrical company owed by Senegal, has and does whatever they want with electricity. Meaning they can cut power when they want, bring power to specific areas such as Touba the national religious capitol, while millions are still without power in the rural areas.
  • In other parts of Africa for instance, the Ivory Coast, highly toxic waste, floated through international waters by the Dutch multinational Trafigura aboard a Panamanian-flagged ship. Injurying and intoxicating hundreds of people and also killing some Ivorians.
These are just some of the HUGE problems that Senegal and Many other African countries are facing. Besides this, I resently watched a documentary on the Nuclear disaster in Chernobyl in Eastern Europe. You can watch it online at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSRC1_OZPIg

It is intersting for sure.

While I was thinking about this I google searched and youtubed other nuclear disasters and their effects on the environment and humans! While searching, I found that there was a nuclear disaster not too far from where I go to school in California, Simi Valley, although this happened in 1959 there is with no doubt that their are still effects today, as the structure is still standing.

NO further research has been exclusivly done.

Look here for a video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAHmaEs5cYU

and it was noted as one of the worst nuclear disaster in history...

but I would rather live in a place where parasites live in the stomach due to poorly filtered water, there are frequent power outages, and drive a car that is older then my mom. Then live in an area where there was or is toxic radiation that slowly kills everything in the body, causing cancer, birth defects, and skin disease along with other effects.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey love! What's your adress? I have something that I want to send you! =) How have you been? You haven't written in a while. I just had my surgery and now im on my way to recovery! =0 Only nine months that I can't play any sports. I think I might die! I can't even do P.E. (And how I hated it so much when I had to do it. LOL. Isn't that how it always is.) BTW does your sister still go to Bullard? I think I may have met her and then realized later that she was your sister. LOL well all is good. Can't wait to hear from you. Love, Peace, and Happiness to all.

Love Forever and Always
Ally <3