Friday, September 26, 2008

leggi leggi


Hii all! (leggi leggi meaning "now now" in wolof which is translated to see you later)

Sorry it has taken me awhile to write, there has been so much going on. Since we have fall break starting weds of this week, all our professors are having us turn things in and take test before we all vacation for two weeks. And on top of that I have been a little sick. I went to the doctor the other day and she said it’s the heat (that’s the answer to EVERY problem here) and that I’m dehydrated and I have low blood pressure, so I’m taking a bunch of pills…. but I feel better, so I’m not complaining. I am pretty proud of myself because I made my first doctors appointment in Africa all by myself in French!! I am very lucky to have my host brother, Pape, he comes and checks up on me every couple hours to make sure my temperatures not too high and that I’m doing ok. He took me to the doctor the other day and then to the pharmacy, he is definitely an angel.
Last weekend we (the exchange program) all went to Toubab Dialow, which, if you EVER go to Senegal, you NEED to go there. There’s an amazing resort there where we stayed. A very “honeymoon” type of atmosphere, hammocks hanging everywhere, a beautiful private beach, and the rooms where we stayed we very cute with misquote nets hanging over the beds and simple showers in every room. It was indeed very relaxing, just what we all needed.

Many students are going on various trips over the break but I plan on visiting some very nice beaches here in the area and work on this amazing tan of mine!

My host mother had a religious ceremony last weekend. It was pretty intense; there were many religious leaders there. A couple years ago her husband and son passed away and ever since then, they have had this ceremony every year. It started at 11pm and lasted tell 5 in the morning. With speakers, worshiping and a lot of loud noises, of course in a language I didn’t understand. After some people were starting to cry very heavily and fall to the ground, my brother decided it was time for me to go to bed. I was quite excited that he made that decision for me, because I didn’t have any idea of what to do after my host mother fell to the ground thanking god hysterically. I felt I was a little out of my comfort zone but after a couple of days my host mother and I started to laugh about it. I told her that she could probably do the “superman” dance pretty well if she tried it! She thought that was hilarious and now every time she says “thanks be to God” in Arabic she puts her hands in the air and whispers “superman” to me! Lol. Hahahaaa. She is quite the character. She just recently got air conditioning in her bedroom and let me tell you, I don’t think I have ever been so jealous! Just kidding, now I make up excuses to go into the living room and relax in the air conditioning, (even if it’s trying to understand an Arabic Islamic television station) hahaa. But unfortunately, at my host mothers grand party the other night, someone decided to take off with my favorite pair of flip flops. I’m still in the process of finding the culprit but until then, I have found other means of transportation.

"leggi leggi" Until next time,
Mariah
*the picture is of me and my brother at my host mother's religious ceremony.

2 comments:

Natasha said...

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII miss you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Anonymous said...

=) love it......god you type so proper lol